Friday, March 26, 2010

My "Boro" Shirt

I attended the Studio Art Quilt Associates/Surface Design Association Conference in San Francisco last week where I studied with Yoshiko Wada.  Her workshop was titled "Boro Transformed: Piecing, Patching, and Stitching."  Boro is a very old Japanese custom of repairing, darning, patching old worn textiles to extend their lives.  I worked on this old shirt I purchased at a thrift shop by hand stitching on some hand-dyed cheesecloth.  What was intended to be an old shirt for painting now has been reinvented.  Stay tuned for future additions as there are still lots of blank areas awaiting my needle. 

1 comment:

  1. How wonderful. Hope you had a great time. I've been waiting for either you or Anna to update your blogs about the trip.

    ReplyDelete