Sunday, April 17, 2011

Pyroclastic Flow 15"x38" 2011

As soon as I was challenged to create my interpretation of the word passion,
I knew what I wanted to do.  The dictionary defines pyroclastic flow as
"a dense mass of very hot ash, lava fragments, and gases ejected explosively from a volcano and typically flowing downslope at great speed".
That strikes me as a good metaphor for the emotion of passion.  I started with an old polyester knit top I'd saved probably since the nineties because I liked the flowing lines on it.  Then I started adding "hot lava" in the form of foiled organza, metallic lame, Razzle Dazzle threads, and lots of beads stitched on and as fringe at the bottom.  Even though the laboriously slow process of beading would cool any passion, I must say I'm glad I got this piece out of my system.

2 comments: