Thursday, August 18, 2011

Ice Dyeing











































The current issue of Quilting Arts Magazine, August/September 2011, includes an article titled Ice Dyeing by Linda Heines.  It is the coolest (pun intended) way to dye fabric I've ever tried.  And it's so easy it feels like cheating!  My first attempt included these two pieces which I actually did wrong.  All my mistakes should look so good.  Briefly, I soaked the PFD white cotton in soda ash solution for 30 minutes.  Next I placed the fabric pieces on top of overturned empty plastic containers in a dish tub.
Then I sprinkled several colors of Procion MX dyes on the fabric.  Last I put a bunch of ice cubes on top of the fabric, covered the whole thing with some old plastic and walked away for 24 hours.  Next day I rinsed and washed it all with Synthropol, dried it in the dryer, and then really, really enjoyed ironing my new fabric.

So what did I do wrong?  I was supposed to put on the ice before adding the dye powders.  I'll post some of those results in a few days.

2 comments:

  1. The top one looks like something from the Sistine Chapel - not that I really know what the Sistine Chapel looks like! But wow! Both fabrics are awesomely inspirational!!! Terrific!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful, Sara. Now I know what to do with all those yards of PDF fabric I bought. I just couldn't get into all the jars and baggies, etc. This looks much more manageable. And the results are astounding. Kay

    ReplyDelete