Thursday, September 22, 2011

My Birthday Strips 46" w x 30" h 2011







A couple of years ago my artist group, Loose Threads, started celebrating birthdays with art quilts in a strip format.  The first year the individual strips were sewn together end to end... a very interesting display challenge.  This year we decided to keep them separate but united by a theme.  My theme was "Cracks"
inspired by a Leonard Cohen lyric: "Ring the bells the bells the bells that still can ring ring ring.  Forget your perfect offering.  There is a crack a crack in everything.  That's how the light gets in."

On the far left is a strip from Barbara which my photo failed to give justice.  She layered black felt over painted paper towels, melted cracks into the felt, and then embroidered the word cracks down the middle.
Next is the other Barbara who created a quilted sidewalk with fibrous green weeds growing in the cracks.
Third from left is my own interpretation.  I wrote the lyric in calligraphy on fuschia and purple silk and appliqued them to a painted black silk background.  Karen executed another little sidewalk to evoke the game of hopscotch.  Remember you weren't supposed to land on a crack?  Grace knows I love to paint fabric so her strip says, "If it cracks, just paint it!"  Finally, Anna cut a big crack into her strip quilt and finished it off with her signature bead fringe.

What is always amazing is that even though we don't discuss our creations in progress, they always belong together in the end.  I am truly blessed to have such artists to share with every month!

2 comments:

  1. WOW! I love all the interpretations and I think I'll steal this idea for my own art group! Since we can never decide on what to make! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it! You ladies hang well together. :) And I listen to Cohen all the time. Ya think it's generational?

    ReplyDelete