Friday, September 2, 2011

Prayer 15" x 23.5" 2011

























My camera skills aren't up to the task for this little piece which has taken me over a year to complete.  The motifs in the center panel are the Buddhist eight spoked wheel, which represents the Path to follow in life, and the Mehndi hands, which I see as openly gesturing.  I used Shiva Painstiks to rub these symbols from old wooden printing blocks onto the red-violet silk, and I quilted all the motifs with trapunto technique.  At that point time slowed way down because I hand beaded all the motifs and all around the edge.  For me the piece has a spiritual elegance, although it's still looking for its own display location in my home.

2 comments:

  1. I look forward to seeing this one in person. Did you bead around the edges too?

    ReplyDelete