Thursday, December 8, 2011

Mt. Rainier, pieced 16" x 64"


I secretly like paper piecing, especially during periods when the muse of originality forsakes me, or when following someone else's directions is like taking a vacation, or when the design is too beautiful to ignore.
This paper pieced view of the massive volcano, designed by Amber Wittmayer, was too intriguing to pass up.

It has been the perfect project for those few precious hours when I can reconnect with my sewing machine.  With the exception of some very unpleasant side effects, my son's melanoma is responding well to the drug Zelboraf which is buying him time for whatever will be the next step on his path.

Of course, my mountain awaits a backing, batting, and quilting.  Certainly by Christmas so I may gift it to my beautiful son and his valiant wife.  They are climbing a virtual Mt. Everest.

6 comments:

  1. That is a beautiful piece Sara. I won't tell anyone that you like to paperpiece. :) I like it too.

    Glad his melanoma is responding to the new drug.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow that is WIDE! I love to paper piece, too. Keeps everything sharp and stable.

    Hope all is well with you and your family, Sara.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Never heard of "paper piecing" so I thought you were making a paper collage! I'm glad you get to reconnect with your sewing machine occasionally during this rough patch in life. And, this is beautiful, whether or not it is considered "original"!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the design, especially the width. And thanks for the positive news on your son.
    Keep stitchin'!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Breathtaking! I know a picture does not do this justice! And...I like the word VALIANT!

    ReplyDelete