Thursday, March 1, 2012

Runner 17.5" x 51" 2012

A couple of years ago I discovered the therapy of what I call "mindless" piecing of bits of fabric too interesting to throw away.  When I'm between projects, or just want to give my right brain a break, I sew bits together with no plan, iron them, slice and dice them, rotate them, and keep adding.  More often than not, some intriguing compositions emerge.

Of course I don't work in a vacuum.  From the time I first saw the Quilts of Gees Bend at the DeYoung Museum in San Francisco, I've loved improvisational piecing.  Books by artists such as Nancy Crow, Lorraine Torrence, Jean Wells, and most recently Rayna Gillman have been favorites in my studio.  (One does seek support for what one loves.)

Honestly, while I admire traditional precision piecing, I suck at it.  When I sew pieces like this runner, I feel like a modern artist.

3 comments:

  1. That's ironic that it makes you feel "modern," as this type of patchwork was pretty commonplace 150 years or so ago. Or maybe I just dreamed it was so. I, too, love free-form piecing, though it never seems to make a dent in my scrap boxes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are a modern quilter! And a darn good one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. On another note...I’ve been allocated 5 sites to award a Liebster Blog Award for inspiration and interest… I love your blog, so I think you should have one.
    Please check back to my blog to receive your award and pass it on.

    ReplyDelete