Monday, May 21, 2012

My Art Glass Clamshell


The Pacific Northwest is a hot spot for art glass "hot shops" and Tacoma is home to the renowned glass artist Dale Chihuly and his Museum of Glass.  For Mother's Day my son and daughter-in-law gifted me with a blow-your-own glass experience.  Here's what I learned: molten glass from the crucible is HOT HOT HOT (about 2100 degrees) and once you have some on your rod you have to work fast and keep sticking it back in a "glory hole" to keep it molten.  Here's what I actually did: chose four colors and a finished shape.  My teacher did all the handling while I occasionally rolled the rod that held the red hot glass bubble and blew into a 3 foot long rubber tube when he said blow.  Never was I tempted to remove my thick leather gloves and was I glad I only wore a light t-shirt.  All in all a very exciting half hour.
Should I trade in my sewing machine for a crucible?  Whaddya think?

8 comments:

  1. Sara - Love your colors! What a great experience.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fabulous experience! Keep the sewing machine. xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. SO cool! I mean hot. I mean...I love it!!
    I read an article yesterday, about the new Chihuly museum at the Space Needle. It looks amazing.

    I also picked up a couple of murder mysteries with a protagonist who blows glass in AZ...talk about hot! ;) That's the only reason I know what a glory hole is. :)

    LOVE the glass, but keep quilting!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's beautiful. I was actually at a museum somewhere in Washington where they had an exhibit of Dale Chihuly and his students - it wasn't his museum but they featured his stuff. I'm pretty sure it was him. What a great gift from your kids.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a fantastic gift - an experience with a memento at the end. The sewing machine is more practical, but you probably knew that!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Don't trade in the sewing machine. But save your money for the crucible. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I see the face of an alien. I wish I could be "deeper" than this....but I truly see a heart-shaped face with two eyes staring out. The colors are sensational. What a cool experience!

    ReplyDelete