Friday, June 1, 2012

Sun Print Postcard 4"x6"



In the Pacific Northwest, it takes a certain amount of optimism to set out to make sun prints.  Several weekends ago on a beautiful sunny day on Vashon Island I found a new fiber arts store called Common Threads.  Missing my own well-stocked studio in California, I was an instant customer for a kit of cyanotype fabrics ready for sun printing.  The sun blessed us for several more days and on the left you can see my first attempts.  Then the sun disappeared behind the more typical clouds for a couple of weeks until one morning that looked promising.  I circled the yard for fresh clippings, pinned them onto the fabric which I pinned onto cardboard and then the clouds closed in.  Thinking time would be the answer I left them out for an hour because those clouds didn't rain.  I guess I have to call the optimistic pieces on the right cloud prints.

Thank you so much to all my good friends who have left comments on my previous posts.  Time to write back to everyone is limited right now, but please know that you make me happy when you comment.

5 comments:

  1. I'm sure you'll find some great uses for those subtle cloud print pieces of fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love seeing your work and hearing from you. Keep quilting when you can. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cyanotype printing is one of my favorite forms of art making. These little pieces will fill in the moments you have. Be sure to share photos of them as they are done!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Know what you mean about missing your studio LOVE the grand kids but miss the sewing machine hum

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, I love your prints and quilts. The prints on different colors cyanotype fabric in the second or third photo down are just beautiful. Can you please tell me who makes that sun print fabric? I love the light green on blue color combination and have not seen that on fabric before. Thank you so much. Meg.

    ReplyDelete