Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Waiting Stones 43" x 17.5" 2012


During the last months of my sojourn up north in Tacoma, there were long hours of just waiting during my son's treatments.  For me, a hand stitching project is meditative and soothing.  One day I found Jude Hill's blog  Spirit Cloth on which she asked friends to create "stones" for her.  I didn't think she'd mind if I started making some for myself.  Using scraps of fabric that looked like they would belong in nature, I hand appliquéd "stones" to 2 inch square background pieces on which they seemed to belong.  When I came home, I put them together into this quilt as a birthday gift for one of my sisters.  I am still making stones.

5 comments:

  1. Sara, I absolutely LOVE these. They are powerful in their simplicity. beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful! I too think hand work is so soothing...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great idea to keep the hands busy and the soul quiet. Love your quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm feeling the long waits with each stone you created. Makes me sad but also happy, that you chose to look for hope and love.

    ReplyDelete