Friday, May 17, 2013

"If I Could Save Time in a Bottle" 32.5"w x 18"h


Sew Eclectic, my other artist group, is working from storyboards we each created to illustrate what inspires us.  In March I received my friend Barbara's board (above).  It is an assortment of mostly three dimensional ephemera all wrapped in cellophane.  At first I was reminded of the specimen boxes in which the late Victorians displayed collections of insects, shells, etc.  Then I thought the earbuds on the bamboo placemat looked like calligraphy.  But, as the deadline for my creation rapidly approached, I began to be reminded of my late father.   The cellophane wrapping of so much diverse stuff reminded me of his habit of picking up little bits and bobs and displaying them in bottles and jars all over his house.
So my quilt includes plastic "bottles" in which I have places loose bits like beads, threads, shells, coins, charms, etc.  There seems no better title for it than Jim Croce's haunting lyric.

2 comments:

  1. These are wonderful! I absolutely love the inspiration behind it all.

    ReplyDelete