Thursday, July 4, 2013

Solid Attempt 60" x 60" and Leaf Pods 44" x 59"




This is a tale of two seemingly unconnected quilts.  The 2013 challenge at my local quilt guild, Common Threads, was to create a quilt using only solid color fabrics.  So I pulled from my stash and purchased as many colors as I could, whacked at them freely, and sewed them into cheerfully wonky log cabin blocks.  Then my friend Grace needed a piece of equipment I no longer use, so I asked her to swap by quilting it on her new long arm machine.  Ha Ha!  "Solid Attempt" was ready for the challenge two weeks early.  Then I reread the rules....it was supposed to be finished entirely by me.  Crikey!

So back to the cutting table.  Along with thousands of other quilters, I am very attracted to the new "Modern Quilting" aesthetic.  I like the clean minimalist design approach.  "Leaf Pods" is my own composition, and I won Best Large Art Quilt in the challenge competition.  ("Solid Attempt" was demoted to the Show and Tell portion of the meeting, but it didn't seem to mind.)




6 comments:

  1. I love them both. You do art and modern very well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the leaf pods, Sara. The pop of green makes it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just discovered your Leaf Pods quilt via pinterest. I love it and I'm putting it on my "to make" list.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Sara, I'm very interested in your beautiful leaf pod design, it's a fantastic balance of action and calm. Is there a possibility of you sharing the pattern? I would like to make it for my daughter' newly decorated charcoal and white bedroom, it would be perfect! hoernersusan@gmail.com
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  5. Do you have a pattern for your Leaf Pods quilt? If so, where can it be purchased?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi
    Like your pattern of leaf pod. Do you make pattern for sale?
    Greetings fromm Norway

    ReplyDelete