Tuesday, October 29, 2013

It's all about yarn in Autumn

Just returned from a two week trip to Oregon and Washington looking for roads and sights we'd never travelled before.  Of course, Ansel A. (a.k.a. my photographer husband) knew where he wanted to go--the Steens Mts., the Painted Hills, and the Palouse.  All new to me, and we found glorious AUTUMN everywhere.

But of course, I could not travel without portable finger candy (a.k.a. knitting and crochet).  First I finished knitting the hand-dyed fuschia triangular scarf only to discover it was too small for my liking.  Oh darn--had to add a yarn store into the itinerary to find the blue yarn to keep going with it.
Project two, the blue and coral crochet, filled the many hours until we found that store.  But, yikes, I ran out of that yarn too.  Internet to the rescue.  I ordered more and had it shipped to a friend's house back home.  Project three, the gold/blue/fuschia scarf still on the needle, occupied the last long drive home.

In Sisters, OR I shopped at the famous Stitchin' Post Quilt Shop (Jean and Valori Wells).  Did I buy fabric?  Nooooo.  I headed straight to the yarn department and purchased more finger candy.  All that delicious color is displayed on an ivory wool blanket beautifully crocheted for me as a baby by my Great-Aunt Mame.  I plan to enlarge it with a more crochet in the earthy hues we enjoyed in the high deserts of the north.  Oh, it's hard to tear away from all these delicious fibers to go back to my sewing studio.  But there are roads to be traveled there as well.

6 comments:

  1. What a fun yarn journey. I'm finding yarn more and more addictive.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful colors. I can see why you were attracted to them.

    I am finding a delightful compromise with embroidering my current quilt top. I want to snuggle up on a couch and do handwork when it is cold outside--not sit at a sewing machine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A travel story as told by the yarns. Oh the colors of autumn. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I recognize the antique baby blanket underneath it all!

    ReplyDelete