Wednesday, June 15, 2016

Purebred (63" x 78") and Mahalo (54"x14")

 True confession--I succumbed to the lure of a kit.  Wanting to make a special quilt for my niece who works with rescue horses, I could not resist "Purebred" by Erin Michael.  (Moda Kit 26090)
Upon opening the panel,  I found the size of the horse a bit startling because I'm pretty sure it's larger than a life size equine. (Although all horses look enormous to me.)  Should be fascinating to watch my niece's reaction when I present this quilt to her next weekend.
 Recently we travelled to Hawaii for three weeks, and I brought along a bag of hexies to hand baste.  Here's a few on a table runner that's inspired by the gorgeous colors in a botanical garden we hiked on the Big Island.  Now what to do with the many many more hexies I made?


My newest project is actually the resurrection of a five year old UFO.  I had used a cyanotype sunprint kit to make the blue prints and then fractured them with fine line piecing.  The commercial green came with "sunprint" botanicals images.  Just tossing a few loose blocks on the floor tells me I badly need to put up a design wall to figure out an interesting arrangement.

2 comments:

  1. I'm sure your neice will love the horse quilt. It is quite big. Glad you enjoyed Hawaii.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my sister would love the horse quilt! So love Hawaii, your quilts are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete