Sunday, August 27, 2017

Death Valley Throw


Death Valley is not a place I enjoy spending a lot of time.  Too hot.  Too dry.  No shade.  It challenges me to sacrifice comfort for its magnificent vastness and vistas.  For a quilter who lusts after color in all its luscious hues and shades, Death Valley's muted palette trims the menu.   And yet, Death Valley, deadly for the unprepared and heartbreaking in its sere beauty, is a cathedral for the spiritually aware and patient visitor.

As I gathered and stitched the fabrics for the front of this quilt, my memories and impressions of Death Valley emerged in my color choices.  Below is the back of the quilt which I chose to piece in big chunks of fabrics that perhaps would make it fun to flip the quilt over.
  

3 comments:

  1. That's so cool! I love it. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like both sides. wish I could see your quilting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My grandfather often talked of driving through Death Valley. I have never been there. I love your quilt, with it's muted palette. And the joyous back? What a delightful surprise!

    ReplyDelete